I have a dream!
One day, I'd like to see lots of kids in this town on bikes. With more kids biking, maybe more adults would be motivated to do so as well, but let's focus on the kids for now. How about a "Bike to School" month, maybe in MAY? There could be rewards for the student who bikes the most days, or the one who rides the farthest. The rewards could come from Plainville businesses, maybe a free pizza, ice cream, or a grand prize of a new bike. It's been done before, and I've seen it in Bay Village, Ohio, a village about the same size as Plainville, and just a little flatter. I was so impressed I took some photos like the one above, and wrote about it for a national cycling magazine. The photo here is taken at the Middle School, on a side street where the latecomers must lock up to the picket fence because the bike racks in front of the school and the picket fence along the main street are full of bikes, on both sides! You can read the article and see some more pictures by clicking here (then scroll through the magazine to page 32. Sorry, I couldn't find an easier way).
And since today is July 4th, I'm taking a suggestion from Howard Schultz, ceo of Starbucks Coffee to include in this post the tag #INDIVISIBLE. I'm not sure what that will do, but he knows more than I do. Happy reading, and Happy 4th.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trail Route Discussion in New Haven

Please contact CT DOT about this!

What can happen in communities even without a trail!